Have sudden hip pain radiating to legs. Have pain in using stairs. Suggest cure?

Hi, I have never used this site and am not sure if it is real but here goes. I have sudden onset of hip pain. It actually radiates down the whole outside of my leg. I can walk with mild discomfort but going up and down the stairs is painful. I believe it started from lifting my grandson over the past few days. I have never had any problems with my hips but now it is even difficult to sleep because of the pain. I'm just wondering if I should exercise it more or take it easy.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Dear madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into the history that you are giving I see that you are developing hip pain that radiates to the leg . You give a history of lifting your grandson . In my opinion I think that the two events are related .

Since you mention that your age is 61 , at this age post menopausal females have osteoporosis thus the vertebrae becomes weak and sudden lifting of weights may lead to disc displacement compressing the nerves that emerge from their margins thus giving rise to radiating pain .

I advise you to see an orthopaedician , get your X XXXXXXX LS spine , DEXA scan , Serum calcium , Vitamin D3 levels . After ascertaining the cause treatment will be decided . Till then I advise you not to exercise and do as your treating doctor suggests .

Dr. Shruti