Have stomach ache. Feeling bloated, nausea, tired, getting worse after eating food. What's going on?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi I have a feeling of bloatedness and lots of gurgling in my left side backand front my and stomach which is getting worse.
It's been there for nearly a week now, also when i eat i have been getting a bit of a belly ache.
I had some nausea but that has seemed to have passed at the moment.
I don't seem to be going to the toilet as regular as normal.
Just Once a day.
I also have the feeling that I want to force a burp up like that would help.
I don't have any acid reflux or burning.
or sharp pain
When I eat or drink it makes it feels worse as I feel full
I don't know if getting something like wind eze tablets would work.
At a loss of what i should do as it's making me tired.
Look forward to your reply.
Best Wishes, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
The symptoms which you have described point towards a motility problem. That is there slowing of your intestinal motility. This phenomenon is commonly seen in diabetic patients in whom the intestinal motility slows down due to the damage caused to the nerves supplying the intestine by the disease process itself. Another cause for the bloated feel could be due to fatty liver which is a frequent accompaniment of diabetes. In fatty liver there is a feeling of early satiety accomapanied by a sensation of bloating.
In view of the aforementioned possibilities I would suggest you to undergo the following tests.
1. Blood sugar levels (fasting as well as post prandial)
2. Urine sugar ( fasting as well as post prandial)
3. Lipid profile
4. Ultrasound of the abdomen to study the upper abdomen especially the liver and gall bladder.
Once results are available specific treatment can be advised.
In the mean time for symptomatic relief I would advise plenty of sugar free fiber and plenty of water to aid bowel movements.
I hope this answers your querry.
Please write back if you have any further doubts or querries.
With regards