Have sores in left ear with scabs, pink caking rashes on elbows, sores on scalp. What is the illness ?

I stayed at a log cabin in the mountains in New Mexico. After a few days, I developed these sores in my left ear with scabs. Several days after that, I developed these large pink caking rashes on both my elbows that were swollen, cracking and bleeding and had a burning sensation. The rashes disappeared after several weeks and then I developed a large bald spot on my head along with sores on my scalp that resemble insect bites. I am not eating and sleeping very well and I have this weird spare tire around my waist which I did not have before. What ever illness I have, it seems to have wrecked havoc with my metabolism.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
From the description provided by you, I feel that you might be suffering with Tinea Capitis infection.

Tinea Capitis is a skin infection due to Fungi. It is also called ringworm of the body and head. This condition can be treated easily but has chances of recurrence.

Here are some tips to help cure this condition:
1. Keep the skin clean and dry.
2. Use a antifungal Cream containing - Miconazole, Clotrimazole, Ketoconazole, Terbenifine, or Oxiconazole. These are often effective in controlling ringworm.
3. Wash and dry the area first.
4. Apply the cream, beginning just outside the area of the rash and moving toward the center. Be sure to wash and dry your hands afterward.
5. Use the cream twice a day for 7 to 10 days.
6. Do not use a bandage over ringworm.

To prevent the infection from spreading:
1. Wash all towels in warm, soapy water and then dry them.
2. Use a new towel and wash cloth every time.
3. Clean sinks, bathtubs, and bathroom floors well after using.
4. Wear clean clothes every day and do not share clothes

This condition usually responds to topical medications mentioned above within 4 weeks. Severe or resistant cases usually respond quickly to antifungal medicines taken orally, which may need your doctor's prescription.
Meanwhile ensure that you take lots of water.
Avoid spicy food.
Take at least 5-6 portions of vegetables or fruits every day.
Try to get atleast 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep in the night.
Avoid late nights.
Stop smoking and alcohol if you do.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have sores in left ear with scabs, pink caking rashes on elbows, sores on scalp. What is the illness ? 7 hours later
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If you feel that the lesions you have are not related to a ring worm infection then I suggest you to upload a recent photo of the lesions here using the upload feature available on this webpage. This will help me in a better assessment of your problem.
In the meantime, I recommend you to use general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area. Avoid scratching or handling the region with barefingers.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Your diagnosis does not explain the sores in my left ear. There is the possibility these sores are bat bites and I contracted a bat virus.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later
I can comment on the sores you have on your ear after having a look at its photograph. A direct examination of the lesion by a dermatologist is the best way to get it diagnosed.
At times it becomes very difficult to comment without actually seeing the patient.
It will really be helpful if you could upload a good quality picture of the rashes and the sores.
Bat bites do cause sores but it less likely to be itchy and show scabbing. Bat virus infection is usually associated with systemic symptoms like headache, fever, malaise, sensory changes around the site of the bite, etc.
I hope this will relieve your anxiety a little bit.