Have sore throat, tried gargling hot salt water and drinking warm coffee. How to cure it?

What is a good way to cure a soar throat. It just started a couple hours ago but it's gotten real bad real fast. I've tried gargling hot salt water and drinking warm coffee but it's just making it worse
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 49 minutes later
The symptoms of sore throat are suggestive of severe Upper respiratory tract infection.
It is caused most commonly due to Viral infection or bacterial infection primarily or secondarily when viral infection stays unabated for 3-4 days.
You aree feeling problem with taaking cofee oor water dduee ttoo associated local inflammation.
You should prevent yourself from exposure to cold, XXXXXXX enough warm clothes.
Have bed rest and take lots of fluids like soups, lemon water, curds, tea and other household liquids and take a balanced diet.
Decongestant medicines like Wikoryl take thrice a day are the mainstay treatment.
You should get evaluated by a physician of your locality and get assessed if you also require antibiotics. You should improve the oral health, brush twice a day and do chlorhexidine mouth gargles thrice a day and avoid eating any edibles during ensuing 2 hours to ensure good germicidal effect of chlorhexidine; Do warm saline gargles after you take anything orally.
if you have malaise and fever then take acetaminophen(paracetamol) 500mg as required.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.