Have sore throat, swollen and stiff neck. Noticed blood in spit. How to overcome this?

ENT Specialist
My boyfriend has been complaining of a sore throat for a few days now. He woke up this morning very swollen he has an achey stiff neck and was spitting up blood. His tonsils also have white stuff on them...what should he do if he can't reach a doc until Monday?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 33 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

Your boy friend seems to be suffering from acute tonsillitis. The whitish coating seen over the tonsils is due to formation of a layer by the dead cells and food debris secondary to dryness of the throat and inflammation. Do not worry! With the appropriate intervention he will be alright.

My suggestions to him are:
1. To drink plenty of warm water.
2. To take anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for the reduction of pain and swelling.
3. To do gargles with povidone iodine mouth gargles.
4. Avoid hot or chilled food and beverages, smoking and alcohol.
5. If the symptoms do not improve, he will require a course of potent antibiotics such as (1) a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or (2) cefuroxime.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon