Have sore throat, severe congestion of head, nose and chest. Any effective medication?

ENT Specialist
Thank you. I have had severe congestion of head, nose and chest for over a month which all started with a sore throat=took a round of amoxicillin with no results except throat is no longer sore.

What can I take to help with these symptoms? (Do have allergy/asthma and use a Qvar inhaler 2xdly.) Is cephalexin a good choice?

As stated, do have glaucoma and moderate blood pressure so there ae some things I can't take. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. In addition to antibiotics, a course of anti-allergics, mucolytics, steam inhalation and medicated gargles may be requied. Cepodoxime, Cefuroxime or Cefprozil may be a better option than Cephalexin. Cough syrups with bronchodilators my help.

2. Get your self examined, preferably with a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses), Chest X-rays and a chest auscultation.

3. Do you cough out mucus or is the cough dry?

4. Decongestants should be avoided due to glaucoma and elevated blood pressure..

5. Get your routine blood tests done. I must emphasize that you should take treatment only under medical supervision.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.