Have sore throat on one side, tenderness at back of ear, runny nose and mucus feeling. Suggest?

Excellent

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
7 days now sore throat on one side tender when back of ear is touched to front of throat, horseness with mucus feeling at times at back of throat, some runny nose .
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upper respiratory and ear infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
This is most likely to be an upper tonsillitis.
I would suggest paracetamol for the pain. Steam inhalations may help if you are feeling blocked up. I think you should see your doctor as you may need antibiotics as the symptoms have lasted 7 days.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Have sore throat on one side, tenderness at back of ear, runny nose and mucus feeling. Suggest? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer I will try those and get to a doctor soon. I just had this kind of sore throat in April as I look over my questions to your site. Do I have to be concerned in April it was the same thing sore throat on one side .

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not be concerned.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the further question.
No, you do not need to be concerned. Although the symptoms are unpleasant for you, it does not indicate any serious underlying complaint. You have just been unfortunate in developing the same infection in a short space of time.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA