Have sore, itchy and stinging eyes, swollen eyelids. Face is blotchy. How long it takes to cure and any medication?

My eyes are very sore, and sting when I close my eyelids. They itch and water constantly, my eyelids are red and swollen. This started a week ago, coinciding with giving up alcohol after a 2 month period of heavy drinking. My face is also blotchy but not so itchy, I presume the condtion is linked to my alcohol withdrawal and would like to know of anything you can suggest to ease these symptons and what sort of time period you believe the condition should be easing. I feel well in all other respects, although I am sure I am fatigued due to poor sleep quality. Thankyou.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 7 hours later

You are right.These symptoms are due to alcohol withdrawal.You can do frequent washing of your eyes with cold water.You can apply artificial tears(Refresh tears) in your eyes.Drink lots of water.
Try to get atleast 8 hours of sleep.Your symptoms will go away in about two weeks provided to absolutely stay away from alcohol.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer any furthur queries if you have any.

Best Regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah