Have small lump between scrotum and thigh. Are they related to prostate cancer?

Question
I have a pea size or bb sized small lump in left groin area in crease of groin between scrotum and thigh. Prior to showering in morning is is hard but after hot shower it is softer and recedes more below skin. No pain or discomfort. also it is somewhat white in color at surface when hard but after shower color is gone. I did have a prostectomy for prostate cance a year ago. Do not think they are related.
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 10 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I am Dr. Kulbir Singh and read your query with diligence. The only reason that lump in your groin region is related your prostrate is if your biopsy report is positive for malignancy and lump is a enlarged lymph node. When prostate cancer spreads, cancer is often found in nearby lymph nodes. Else it can be a cyst, enlarged lymph node or a boil due to hair pricking.
1. Cyst: Cyst is usually symptom less and requires no treatment unless it is increasing in size or causing discomfort.
2. Enlarged Lymph node: This can be due to infection, secondary to cancer, inflammation or due to immune disorder. Treatment depends upon the cause of the enlarged nodes.
3. Boil: It is the infection of hair follicle and proper antibiotic course is needed for that.

As you have not written anything about the biopsy report in your query, I can not say whether it is related or not or has some other reasons. I have explained you the reasons why the lump can be present. Better diagnosis of the lump can be made by clinical examination and some investigations like scan or fine needle aspiration test (FNAC). In my opinion and the symptoms explained by you in the query it could be a cyst but needs to be proved.

If you have prostrate biopsy report with you or have undergone any radiation therapy or chemo therapy after the surgery than please let me know. Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer your follow up query.
Best Wishes and have a good time.
Dr. Kulbir Singh

Follow-up: Have small lump between scrotum and thigh. Are they related to prostate cancer? 10 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX - thank you for your response. I do have a copy of my biopsy and can send that to you. I did have chemo pre-op and hormone therapy as well. The biopsy showed prostate was saturated in one half, PSA was 60. Surgery was by robotic method with total removal of prostate and 11 lymph nodes. Now a year later this lump shows up. PSA has consistently been .01 and gamma bone scans have been negative. Testasterone is 230 at this time. I will find copy of the biopsy if you need it for your information. Again. Thank you. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 36 minutes later
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX and thanks again for the follow up query
Good to see your normal PSA value and negative gamma bone scan. As per information provided by you I do not think that the bump is related to your prostrate surgery. But we need to prove it by clinical examination and some investigations if needed. As already 11 lymph nodes are affected and removed, now we cannot take a chance. It might be an infected lymph node or a cyst and treated with a course of antibiotic. So please consult your treating doctor and get clinically examined and treated.

Hope you got your answer. Write back if you have any query.
Dr. Kulbir Singh