Have slow growing, painless hard lump on cervical lymph node with neck pain. Suspect to be Costochondritis. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a slow growing, painless hard lump on a posterior cervical lymph node (right side) accompanied by severe neck pain - and now I have what I think is costochondritis (very painful and tender area on rib cage that radiates under left breast). Do I have cause for concern?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs investigations for diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
The painless hard lump in the neck could be a swollen lymph node and cause pressure on the adjoining tissues causing a neck pain. Since it is a hard swelling, it must be investigated to find out the cause.
For this, a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lymph nodes and swollen glands is the best test. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis as swollen neck glands are often caused by an infection, allergic reactions, cancer or metabolic diseases.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.