Have slightly raised bump on penis. Should I be worried for STD?

Mar 2016

I have some bumps on my penis that don't hurt are skin color and slightly raised. I have been worrying that it may be an std. I have no symptoms but just have these bumps. I thought maybe it was from shaving or possibly masterbation. I am sexually active and the woman I have slept with havent said anything. I am hoping I just worked myself up.
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

According to your history, small bumps appear on the penis most probably after shaving the genital area. It is due to hair folliculitis (small painless pimple around hair follicle of genital area/ penis). Therefore, you have nothing to worry.

Folliculitis is associated with skin irritation related to using soap/ chemical substance for shaving or condom. Masturbation does not cause this type of painless bump. You should maintain genital hygiene properly. It goes away automatically.

Here, I suggest to consult with dermatologist for complete clinical examination. You may need to undergo one blood test for STD profile and urine examination- routine and microscopy to rule out asymptomatic STDs or exclude other pathogens if any.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you better health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen