Have sleeping disorder, getting frequent headaches. What is causing this and the cure?

Question
I get frequent headaches in the workplace. I have a sleeping disorder also. Please suggest me the cause and the solution.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 27 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

There are just two pointers in your statement – not comprehensive enough to suggest a proper diagnosis.

Workplace suggests refractive error - eyestrain - from looking at the computer.
A sleep disorder could contribute.
Office environment (work and peer pressure) could also cause tension headache.

Have your eyes checked. Is there any ENT problem?

Try to see a neurologist. He will rule out many other causes like brain problems, migraine and so on. You may need investigations - like MRI brain

In the meantime, you may try NSAID (ibuprofen. A small dose taken in the night may help to prevent. It can also be taken when there is pain.

Wishing you speedy recovery.
Good luck.

Follow-up: Have sleeping disorder, getting frequent headaches. What is causing this and the cure? 3 hours later
I strongly feel it is because of Office environment (work and peer pressure) could also cause tension headache. I am fine when I work in front of the same laptop at home. How can I avoid tension? It is in my nature to get tensed easily. Also, My promotion is pending and that subconsciously gets me all worked up. I know changing attitude helps, but is there some medicinal help for this? Should I get my BP checked?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Avoiding tension needs a voluntary change of attitude and training yourself. One's 'nature' is not fixed - can and should be modified.
Why should you get tensed from others? Think... Another person is able to manipulate your emotion! How could we allow? Imagine the corollary! Take it easy and ignore - they will get tensed!
Take an example - when one wants to catch a bus, the nature is to run to get it. But by restraining oneself, we can allow it to pass and be first in line for the next bus.
Blood pressure MUST be checked - in everybody. Also an MRI or CT scan of the brain is often done to exclude major problem. It comforts the patient as well as the physician that no treatable cause is missed.
Of course, there are drugs. But it is far better, safer and cheaper in the long term to do without drugs. A psychologist can give proper counselling. Or a psychiatrist can do this and prescribe medicine too. Generally an anxiolytic like alprazolam or fluoxetine is given is these circumstances.

God luck

Follow-up: Have sleeping disorder, getting frequent headaches. What is causing this and the cure? 4 hours later
Thank you so much for the advice. I will get my BP checked and try avoiding tensions.

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 13 minutes later
Hi

Be sure of yourself / Have confidence...
Remember Mahatma Gandhi's quote - 'Nobody can hurt you without your permission.'
You will be well!!

If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

God bless you...