Have sinus problem. Taking pseudeophedrines and tylenol. Suggestions

Greetings. I have long had sinus problems, usually connected with the weather when awakening in the morning on a very cloudy day. Taking two pseudeophedrines and tylenol always clears it up. I was wondering how this works physiologically. Why does it seem to correlate with the weather, and why is the sinus discomfort accompanied by a regular headache as well? Thanks!
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcareamgic.

Thank you for writing to us.

I must say, a very interesting question, and a very interesting thought. But, the explanation is simple, and I shall try my best to explain it to you.

The weather outside brings about changes in barometric pressure. Now the sinuses(which are air filled cavities in the bones around your nasal passages) have to adopt to the change in pressure outside. Most times individuals with sinus conditions who might otherwise be asymptomatic, have sinus cavities which are slow to equalize to the pressure outside. This results in a large amount of pressure being applied on to the sinuses, which can result in it getting clogged. This clogged air inside, can at times carry bacteria (majority of the times), which once clogged can result in an infected sinus.

This results in pain in the front of the head(due to the clogged sinus), and if infected, a green or yellow discharge and even fever.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. If there is anything I did not explain well enough or if you have anymore queries, please feel free to write back to me, I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Have sinus problem. Taking pseudeophedrines and tylenol. Suggestions 20 minutes later
Thank you kindly. How is it that the clogging only develops with the change of pressure when it is cloudy before it rains, and that one needs both pseudophedrine and an analgesic for only one single time to clear it up?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Hello once again.

Well the clouds are like a warning sign to expect rain. And as soon as the clouds are out there, the change in barometric pressure begins. At this very time, the pressure changes outside, while your sinus struggles to cope with the change in pressure inside.

This causes a clogging and inflammation as well. Pseudonephrine specifically treats the clogging and congestion, while an analgesic will help in treating the headache that accompanies it, and slightly contributes to reducing the inflammation as well.

I hope this information makes things more clear. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.