Have sickle cell trait. What is the treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
5yr old africian American male went to doctor for kindergarten physical mother tells doctor she has. sickle cell trait and wants son screened for it may son have the sickle cell trait. explain the purpose of plasma, red blood cells, and platelets also describe the disorder
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Child needs screening for sickle cell trait.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Sickle cell trait occurs when a person inherits a sickle cell gene from just one parent.

The child should be screened for the presence of sickle cell gene.

I did not understand of your concern " explain the purpose of plasma, red blood cells, and platelets". Please explain this in your next follow up query so that I will try to explain in detail regarding this issue.

And coming to the disorder, people with sickle cell disorder have just one kind of hemoglobin in the abnormal for (hemoglobin S) which turns their normal, round red blood cells into abnormally curved (sickle) shapes.

Abnormal red blood cells got destructed in the body leading to anemia and because of entrapment of abnormal red blood cells in blood circulation leads to pain crisis such as pain in hands and chest.

Whereas people with sickle cell trait have both normal hemoglobin (hemoglobin A) and abnormal hemoglobin (hemoglobin S), so they rarely have the symptoms of sickle cell disease.

But people with sickle cell trait are carriers and can pass the sickle cell gene to their children.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have sickle cell trait. What is the treatment? 3 hours later
is this disease preventable in the future and if not why

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Preventable by genetic counselling and screening.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

This can be prevented by screening for sickle cell gene and genetic counseling.

Sickle cell disease can be prevented in future generations by detecting the people with sickle cell traits and avoiding marriages between two individuals with sickle cell traits.

Regards.