Have shrunken arteries, taking Novomix and Losar. How long should I continue the medication?

Hi Doctor, I am a diabetic since my childhood, diagnosed as having shruk arteries for more than 7 years. Presently I am on Novomix 30/70 (24-0-12), Nitrocontin 6.4 (1-0-1), Glimulin 2MF (1-0-0), Metadoze IPR 850 (0-0-1), Metolar 50 (1-0-1), Losar H (1-0-0), Clopitab 75 (0-1-0), Caat 10 (0-0-1). Earlier I had a different set medications which are now changed. I am on these since one year. How long should I continue the same medications? Is there any disparity in the effects of these medications or is there any overlapping effect?
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and 70% of my cardiac patients have Diabetes (though maturity onset admittedly). I read your mail with diligence. Let us sort out your drugs first:
Novomix is Insulin aspart is a rapid-acting insulin and delayed acting insulin mixture.Safe. Natural substance. A substitute therapy for your diabetes.
Glimulin 2 MF and Metadoze IPR 850 is combination oral oral hypoglycemic agents which help in controlling your diabetes without too much of insulin injections.
Metolar and Losar H are three anti hypertensive drugs, which are probably needed to control your blood pressure. These have no adverse interaction with other drugs for diabetes and arterial disease you are taking.
CAAT 10 mg (Atorvastatin) is a drug against cholesterol also has non cholesterol lowering protective effect on arteries from atherosclerosis a usual drug prescribed to patients with arterial disease like yours, no interaction with others
Clopitab is a clopidogrel a blood thinner to prevent progression of disease.

In my considered opinion most of the drugs you will have to take life long but I urge you to ask your doctor if any further intervention is planned which may change profile of drugs. Drugs have no adverse intervention within; yes they have intended overlapping positive effect to keep the dose optimal. If you have any further query, I will be most happy to answer that. Good Luck.
Regards, I must compliments you, as you are fighting two of the worst chronic diseases of this era Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease with equanimity.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW