Have severely dry and cracked lips. Sometimes purplish and red with stretched skin. Why are my palms also dry?

I've had severely dry and cracked lips for over a month. I moisturize constantly, At times they are purplish/ red with stretched skin. They peel and feel better for about a day then it starts all over again. The pads of my palms also feel rough and dry. I'm not taking any meds other than sinugulair.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Dry Skin
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query
The common causes for severely dry and cracked lips are
Extreme cold or hot weather
Dehydration resulting from over exercises,vomiting,diarrhea,use of anti histaminics,diuretics etc
Due to deficiency of B complex vitamins and iron specifically if you are a vegetarian
I advise you to get your iron level checked up.
Take B complex vitamins regularly
Apply and reapply sunscreen or lip balm containing sunscreen several times in a day.
Since SINGULAIR can also cause this,you may consult your doctor regarding stopping it for few weeks
All these measures should make you alright in couple of weeks however,if your symptoms don't improve,then you must consult a dermatologist for the diagnosis and treatment.
I hope to have answer your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.