Have severe throat infection and cold. Had blood in spits. Was smoker. Cancer?

ENT Specialist
Question
I am 28years old male, I have a severe throat infection and heavy cold for last 2 weeks. In the last 2 weeks I can see 2 times when I split some blood shades along with the split. I used to smoke and drink and but last few months I stopped everything. During the last 2 week i have one side ear dump (like when we travel in flight) and some time little of head ache. I went over online and came to know the symptoms of throat cancer looks the same.

Little bit worried on my health condition now, need a doctors expertise to see what can be done. I consulted a local ENT specialist and he has mentioned its because of change in climate and cold. He also notices there is heavy wax in my ears and removed everything.

Can you please suggest me if it would be a throat cancer or what are the tests I should take to have a check if its throat cancer or not. Please suggest.
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Throat cancer unlikely, VLScopy, Tympanometry

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Blood stained sputum a couple of times after a severe sore throat and cold is not a cause for worry.

2. Throat cancer is rare at your age and hence unlikely. Get a videolaryngoscopy (VL Scopy) done. If it is normal, there is no cause for worry.

3. The blocked ear (after wax removal) may be a result of the cold. Get a Tympanometry (Impedance Audiometry) done. If it is normal, there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have severe throat infection and cold. Had blood in spits. Was smoker. Cancer? 36 minutes later
Thanks for your reply sir. I am having a sensation that is something disturbing in my throat which caused me to think if its a Throat cancer. But as far as eating and swallowing I dont feel any problem.

Only issue right now I am facing is i feel something disturbing in my throat. Second is my head ache (heavy at times when i sit and work) when i luy down straight everything is normal.

Is it all because of climate or do i need to take some steps to get completely cured. Can you suggest some best practices and things I need to take care?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A trial of the following medication is recommended

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These symptoms are common after a sever sore throat and cold.

2. request your doctor to start an anti-allergic combination of an anti-histamine and an anti-leukotriene (such as Allegra-M) once a day, a steroid ansal spray (such as mometasone, fluticasone or ciclesonide) once a day for at least 15 days.

3. Start regular plain steam inhalation, medicated gargles such as Betadine for at least 15 days. A mucolytic or decongestant may also be added.

4. Avoiding exposure to sudden climate changes may help as avoidance is the best measure in allergy.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.