Have severe pain in left temporal head after root canal. Why is the pain getting worse?

hi i have severe pain in my left temporal head after root canal
i am talking antibiotic for 2 weekes still pain getting sharper and worse
can you help me thanks
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the problems you are experiencing.

From the details provided it looks to me like it may not be related to your root canal treatment. Post root canal infections can rarely cause pain in the jaw and sometimes referred pain to the left temple. I feel it could be a neurogenic pain which is probably triggered by rot canal treatment.

My recommendation would be for you to see your Neurologist for a good physical examination and consultation. Hemicranial headache can be due to many causes and need urgent evaluation. Till then do continue on NSAID's for pain relief and continue on the prescribed antibiotics.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.