Have severe pain and swelling in leg and feet. Hurts to walk. How to get relief?

Question
terrible swellingin a 44 yr old female...5'3" 175lbs..for last year or more I have had terrible swelling in my right leg and feet...severe pain also severe XXXXXXX pain on bone..hurts to walk at times..now starting to numb. help with sim e ideas.. no one finds anything
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Such massive swelling can be due to Deep venous Thrombosis. It is a condition in which is there is thrombus formation in the deep veins of the legs thus blocking the drainage of the deoxygenated blood from legs which causes massive swelling along with pain and there is warmth temp at the calf.

It is recommended to have Doppler ultrasound of the right leg to assess the venous drainage and have a blood test for d-dimmers. avoid any exertion or too much walking as the thrombus may dislodge and can cause an embolism.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Have severe pain and swelling in leg and feet. Hurts to walk. How to get relief? 48 minutes later
if I have had ultra sound and dyes but find no clot .last night my right arm started to swell can this be kidney function or something like a bone infection

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the reply

It cannot be kidney condition because in kidney function compromise there is edema which is bilateral along with puffiness of face.

The unilateral leg swelling can be either due cellulitis which is also accompanied with redness of the leg and fever. Another condition is osteosarcoma which is a malignant condition but it is more common in young ages the skin is too much vascularized with new small vessels. another condition called elephantiasis causes massive swelling of the leg due to blockage of the lymphatics by an organism called Wuchereria bancrofti. There are still other too many conditions. The above mentioned are the common one.

For evaluation you to go through detailed workup including lab investigations and radiological examinations

Thanks

Follow-up: Have severe pain and swelling in leg and feet. Hurts to walk. How to get relief? 1 hour later
what type of doctor would be best..cardiologist?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 5 minutes later
No. Consult General surgeon. they will rule out causes like cellulitis, DVT, osteosarcoma, and if there is no surgical issue they will refer you to specialist in XXXXXXX medicine as per protocol who will look up for causes like elephantiasis, renal function or any cardiac diseases.

Thanks