Have severe muscle cramping and pain in left leg after taking lumbar spinal injection. Anything serious?

Nov 2013

Several weeks ago after a lumbar spinal injection I had severe muscle cramping, numbness, pain in my left leg. This continued for several weeks until now when I do not have pain every day, but somedays I am debilitated by stiffness and/or cramping in my knee, calf and thigh. I do have Parkinsons; but have been told this is a back issue and not Parkinsons. What has caused this and most of all, what can I do besides "go home and learn to live with it."
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I agree with your doctors that the current symptoms are related to nerves in the lower back, and are not part of Parkinsonian symptoms. This is because of the nature of pain, as well as the onset being after the spinal injection procedure. There seems to be a minor injury to the nerve root, while giving the injection, which has resulted in nerve-related pain. Any significant injury can be assessed by an MRI of lumbo-sacral spine. For relief, I would suggest medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin capsules. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, My personal URL on this website: My blog:
Follow-up: Have severe muscle cramping and pain in left leg after taking lumbar spinal injection. Anything serious? 20 minutes later
so there is nothing to do except take pain meds? will it ever heal?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: There would be spontaneous healing over time, which may take about three months. Medications would relieve pain (they are not pain killers), and would make you feel comfortable. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM