Have severe itching on scrotum. What is causing this and required cure?

I have a severe itch of my scrotum. The itch began several months ago on my inner thigh next to my scrotum and then it began to itch severely on the left side of my it itches on both sides of my scrotum. I have been using over the counter stuff the last two seems to work during the day....but at night I start to itch again. I have no idea if this has anything to do with it...but months ago I stopped using boxers which I used for years and started using briefs....any ideas on what might be going on.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 34 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Commonly the groin and the area next to the scrotum is moist from sweat and is predisposed to infections (commonly fungal infection) that causes itching.

Also in your case, the seams of the briefs that you have been using of late may be adding to friction and moisture in the area and causing dermatitis.
There would be some redness, sticky, sometimes scaly skin area with a margin if these are present.

Do you have any fever or swollen groin lymph glands ?

Please consider switching back to boxers or try better fitting briefs, keep the private parts well aerated (avoid tights), prevent sweat and moisture. Look for any reddish dermatitis patches and if present, get treated as per doctor’s advice.

I would advise getting checked up by your doctor if this is bothersome and not improving.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!
It helps us to improve continuously if you could please write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!