Have severe intermittent pain under ribs, diarrohea, vomited white froth and fluid. Medication?

I have been experiencing moderate to severe pain under my ribs that occurs intermittently and most often in the mornings. It comes in waves and has been so severe I have vomited white froth and fluid, which does not smell like vomit. It is also sometimes accompanied by severe diareahea, which is very watery and again does not smell typically like 'toilet smells'.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms which you have described can occur possibly be due to acute gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, hiatus hernia (in this a part of the stomach goes above the diaphragm – the muscular partition of chest and abdomen), acute inflammation of the gall bladder due to gallstones (cholecystitis) or acute pancreatitis.

An ultrasound should be done to rule out the possibility of gall bladder disease. Doing blood tests like serum amylase and lipase should help in ruling out pancreatitis. An upper GI endoscopy is also indicated if the symptoms are persistent.

A CECT scan of the upper abdomen is the gold standard test to rule out acute pancreatitis.

It makes sense to consult a gastroenterologist for the same .

Drugs like omeprazole and antacids along with prokinetic drugs like domperidone/itopride should help you in improving the symptoms till then.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.