Have severe diarrhea and head ache with chills. Can cold cause arm to itch with rashes?

I have severe diahrea tonight. Have had a head ache and chills today My skin on my fore arm is extremely itchy - looks like a rash. Am in MN - it has been cold and the air is dry. How do I get relief?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 9 minutes later

You seem to be suffering from Diarrhoea which can be viral, bacterial or parasitic in origin. According to the description, it seems like an infective diarrhoea.
You need to get blood, stool, urine tests and stool culture which may find the infection causing diarrhea.

Till that time, you may try the following.
1. Take over the counter Lactobacillus preparation and yoghurt with your meals.
2. Drink plenty of fluids, eat light, do not stay hungry but eat simple things like toast, porridge, cereals, crackers, banana, rice, etc.
3. Avoid dairy products, which can worsen diarrhea (due to a temporary state of lactose intolerance).
4. Drink more fluid (except milk or caffeinated beverages) to replace fluids lost by diarrhea.

Your skin rash on forearm seems unrelated to diarrhea. It could be due to dry weather. For the rash, you can apply Calamine lotion which would relieve itching.

If the symptoms worsen, kindly visit a Physician for evaluation as you might require prescription medications as antibiotics for the same.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.