Have severe bloating in stomach and its uncomfortable. It feels heavy and falling. Suggest?

I have severe bloating in my stomach and its very uncomfortable. When standing it feels like my bottom and stomach is so heavy it is falling. This seemed to start last Sunday. When eating, it is worse of course.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The severe bloating and gas that you have can be due to-
1. Fast eating or drinking
2. Mouth breathing
3. Nasal blockage
4. Hyperventilation related to anxiety
5. Regular gum chewing
6. Poorly fitted dentures

Treatment is by removing the cause.

This in mild cases can be managed with dietary and lifestyle changes. Take the following steps to help manage your symptoms:

1. Increase the amount of fluid you drink, especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages.

2. Avoid foods that cause gas, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and XXXXXXX The amount of gas that different foods cause varies from person to person.

3. Avoid swallowing air. Swallowing air may increase your symptoms.

4. Eat slowly. Avoid gulping food or beverages. When you rush through meals or eat on the run, you are more likely to swallow air.

5. Chew your food thoroughly before you swallow.

6. Avoid drinking through a straw.

7. Avoid chewing gum or eating hard candy.

8. Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.

9. If you wear dentures, check with a dentist to make sure they fit properly.

10. Keep calm. Tension and anxiety can cause you to swallow air.

11. Take a regular steam inhalation to clear away the congestion in your sinuses.

Some foods to be avoided include certain fermentable short-chained carbohydrates that are degradable by intestinal bacteria yielding large amount of gases, like hydrogen or carbon dioxide, thus causing belching and bloating. Such food include

1. White bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, onions, and asparagus, leeks, garlic, chicory roots and chicory based coffee substitutes.

2. Legumes (soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils), cabbage and brussel sprouts.

3. Honey, dried fruits like prunes, figs, dates, or raisins, apples, pears, sweet cherries, peaches, agave syrup, watermelon, papaya.

The treatment in severe cases, where belching is lasting more than 2 days would be with prescription medications (Haloperidol, Reglan, chlor ) which can be provided by your primary care provider.

In the mean time, Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief.

1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.

2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily.

3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause you to have gas.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.