Have severe back pain. Scan showed ostetis, arthritis, sacroillitis. CRP and ESR levels are high. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have been having severe low back pain for 18mths scans showed osteitis condensins illi, arthritis, sacroillitis, my crp and esr levels are always high, have had recent blood test showing high lymphocytes i have lost 13kg by dieting but no releif wth back pain, am having clonoscopy tommorrow, know one can give me a diagnosis and doctors keep saying loose weight, i feel in myself something else is going on, and will continue to loose weight for other health reasons but i dont feel it is the cause of my back pain, ann
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
osteitis condensins illi need multimodal approach

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

In osteitis condensins illi there can be persistent pain.
In this condition an inflammation of the sacroiliac joint (between the pelvis and the base of the spinal column), which may be detectable on plain X-rays of the pelvis.Some times CT scan may be needed.There is involvment of ligament of sacroiliac joint.Curing such disease is difficuilt.

As you are complaining of persistent pain with no relief there can be possibility of spine metastasis, so I will advise you to rule out any kind of malignancy.
I would like to advise blood investigation like Liver function test, renal function test, mammography, PET scan.

Osteitis condensins illi and arthritis may need multimodal management.
You may have combine physiotherapy ,with some epidural injection, spine and joint exercises, and holistic approach like yoga ,pranayama ,and medication.
Many of my patients find relief with indomethacin, so I will advise to you.
Weight reduction is good for arthritis management ,but keep watch on weakness also, do not let your body deficient in vitamins ,and proteins.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.