Have several red lesions on penis. Swab test negative for HSV. Have confusing blood test report. Suggest?

Hello, I have several little red lesions on my penis. I did a swab test which came back negative for hsv. However, I had 2 blood test done, the first one came back positive for hsv 2 and the second one came back positive for hsv1 and negative for hsv2 which was confusing. I have been putting XXXXXXX cider vinegar on the lesions for a several hours at a time with cotton balls and it makes the lesions turn white/ black. I would like to know how to get rid of these lesions, they don't hurt or itch.

Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 50 minutes later

I have read your query with diligence. Let me help you out today.

Your test results are indeed confusing. Whether the test is positive for HSV 1 or HSV 2 - it does matter diagnostically. However, you have been infected with Herpes. That is true.

These several little red lesions on your penis are mostly Herpes 2 lesions. This I say by my clinical experience. If you can upload a close picture of the lesions, I can affirm myself. You have a feature to upload the image by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

One message you need to know - HSV 1 lesions appear on mouth and oral cavity. HSV 2 lesions affect the genitals. This can be taken as a rule in general.

One important clue is it does not hurt. Herpes lesions are usually very painful.

Now, how to get rid of it -

You need to be treated for Herpes. Tablet Acyclovir orally for 7 to 10 days, if this is the first time you got such lesions. If this is a recurring lesion, 5 days course would be sufficient.

p.s. Is syphilis ruled out in you?

Let me know.

Follow-up: Have several red lesions on penis. Swab test negative for HSV. Have confusing blood test report. Suggest? 48 minutes later
Hello, i have uploaded a picture. Please keep in mind the lesions only look like this today after i have applied acv on them. normally they are smooth and pink. they do not hurt or itch. if they are hsv lesions then how come the swab test came back negative for hsv?

thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 14 minutes later

I think you have not uploaded the picture. I do not see one here. Please re-confirm.

In about 25% of the patients suffering with HSV, the lab tests are negative. I hope this is clear to you.

We do not rely on the lab tests in treating a patient with genital lesions. It is clinical diagnosis and syndromic management.

One thing, you must use a condom until the time you completely recover from these lesions.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Have several red lesions on penis. Swab test negative for HSV. Have confusing blood test report. Suggest? 7 minutes later
Hello, I tried sending you a photo again.

I have been to 3 different gp's here in Australia and they all say that the lesions don't look like herpes

Do you recommend oxygen therapy using hydrogen peroxide?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 15 minutes later

Didn't get it this time too.

If it is not herpes, then it should be syphilis or chancroid. Else, it may be lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV), granuloma inguinale (donovanosis).

Since 3 GPs have examined you and ruled out Herpes, you need to be managed on the lines of sydromic management of GUD (Genital Ulcer Disease). Your doctor would be aware of this.

Ask one of the GPs to treat you accordingly.

Get well soon.