Have scars due to face waxing. Cheeks and chin area are reddish brown and skin has swollen. Suggest?

I have scars due to botched up face waxing.It happened yesterday afternoon.
My cheeks and chin area are reddish brown and very dark. Skin has swollen up. Have put ice and water. Putting anything else causes alot of inflammation.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Thanks for your query

You have developed post-waxing burns. Some degree of superficial burns is seen in many patients after a hot wax. However, in your case, developing such burns over the face can be a cause of concern.
It is good that you are applying ice and cold water over the same. It will help in reducing the associated inflammation.
Firstly, do not apply any other creams, oils or lotions over the face.
Patients with such burns need to apply topical steroids like mometasone over the affected areas at least twice a day.
Use a sunscreen before going out in the sun to prevent chances of pigmented scars over the face.
Avoid using hair oil too.
Take oral antihistamines to relieve the associated itching and irritation.
In severe cases, sometimes, short courses of oral asteroids or antibiotics are required. So if the lesions increase or the associated swelling increase in spite of the above therapy, then you might need to see a dermatologist.
Take oral vitamin c supplementation along in order to speed up the process of healing.

Hope it helps
Anything else that you want to know, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Have scars due to face waxing. Cheeks and chin area are reddish brown and skin has swollen. Suggest? 50 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. I have a meeting with a Dermatologist this afternoon.
Shall use your recommended meds too.
Can you tell me how much time it will take for the healing process to complete?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 6 minutes later

I understand your concern regarding the skin problem over the face.
The time taken for complete recovery largely depends upon the depth of the skin burns. Now post waxing curio are mostly superficial in nature.
Therefore, the burns and the associated inflammation might take three to five days for healing.
The main problem in such cases is the prevention of development of pigmented scars after complete healing.
For that, we need to prevent any superadded infection over the lesions.
According to the type of scars that might develop, we have various treatment options available, so you need not worry.

Follow your dermatologist advice.

Hope it helps.

Dr Geetika Paul