Have scars all over body. No relief from mederma. How to get rid of it?

I have scars all over my body since I was 5 how do I get rid of it I've tried mederma and I don't think its working and im 19 right now
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 29 minutes later

Thanks for your query

The treatment of scars and the achievement of optimum results depend on the nature of scars with regards to :
1) Patient factors: age, skin color, etc.
2) Duration of scars
3) Cause ( pertaining to the depth of the scars)

There are several methods ranging from topical agents, surgical methods and cosmetic procedures.
In general the older is a scar , more difficult is it to be treated.

To know what method will be helpful in your case , kindly upload a few pictures of the scars you would want to treat (in good resolution). You can send them to YYYY@YYYY with Subject as 'ATTN DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS'.
Please mention the reason for formation of the scars if known.

I will be eager to answer your follow-up queries.

Best wishes,
Follow-up: Have scars all over body. No relief from mederma. How to get rid of it? 13 hours later
Picture uploaded.
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 3 hours later

Thanks for following up.

I have gone through the uploaded pictures.
You have what is known as Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation due to a previous dermatological problem.

You can try the following to make the scars look lighter:
1) Application of topical cream containing Hydroquinone (2%), Retinoic acid and steroid for 1-2 months at night.
2) Kojic acid creams once-twice daily.
3) Strict sun protection using sun screens with broad spectrum coverage.

Orally, you may have Vitamin C (1000mg) daily or an anti-oxidant to help lighten better.

The skin above and around the scars look very dry, hence I would advise you to apply a good moisturizer and hydrate it well before starting on a therapy.

Since these scars are quite old, the treatments take a few months to show any change.

Chemical Peels and Laser treatments can be done under a Dermatologist’s guidance for a faster and better response.

It will be helpful if you visit your dermatologist to start on the above.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have any further clarifications, you may close this and rate the answer.

Wishing you good health,