Have ruptured ear drum. Diagnosed with double ear infection. On amoxycillin. Itching and pain started

ENT Specialist
Question
I was diagnosed with double ear infection and my left ear drum ruptured last Thursday! I have be on amoxycillin and drops for over 7 days and my left ear still hurts, itches, and I still can't hear well out of it is this normal?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later
Hello

Welcome in H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding rupture of your left ear drum on last thursday and you were taking amoxicillin and some ear drop for a week. Your left ear is still painful and you can't hear from your left ear.

I think you have not consulted any ENT doctor and you yourself taking treatment without any medical supervision, because use of ear drops is strictly contraindicated in acute perforation of ear drum. As use of ear drops in acute perforation leads to many complications and also disturbes the healing process of ear drum and thus this perforation will turn into a permanent hole which can be close by surgery only.

So I would like to tell you that you should stop use of ear drop immidiately, keep your ear clean and dry, use oral antibiotic,anti inflammatory, Decongestant and steam inhalation.

Since initially your problem is not managed properly therefore it will be better to consult any ENT doctor for better care and to minimize chances of developing complications.

Wishing for speedy recovery.

With Regards.

Follow-up: Have ruptured ear drum. Diagnosed with double ear infection. On amoxycillin. Itching and pain started 10 minutes later
So the dr. Who gave me the drops for my left ear shouldn't have?

Hello

Thanks for writing back to H.C.M.for your query.

I would like to tell you that use of ear drops in acute perforation of ear drum is contraindicated, but on the other hand in all chronic perforation (Old perforation ) of ear drum local application of antibiotic, antifungal and steroids is always given by means of ear drops.

So if any patient already having perforation in ear drum due to previous ear diseases if develops ear infection can be safely given ear drops.

In your case perforation is old or new can be diagnose only by thorough examination. This is possible only by your ear examination by your ENT doctor.

I hope your query is clear now.

With Regards.