Have runny nose, cough and sore throat, feeling lightheaded. How to get relief?

ENT Specialist
Hi,I'm feeling lightheaded for the past week with a very runny nose,a slight cough and an off and on sore throat.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 37 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

The feeling of lightheadedness following flu or sinusitis is very common. This is because, during an episode of cold, the nose gets blocked, due to which an individual starts breathing through the mouth. Mouth breathing causes excessive clearance of the carbon-di-oxide from the lungs. The alteration in the ratio of carbon-di-oxide and oxygen in the body gives rise to lightheadedness.

The recurrent sore throat is again related to mouth breathing. Mouth breathing causes evaporation of the moisture from the mucosa of the throat making it sore.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water, this keeps the tissues hydrated and also reduces the inflammation.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day. Saline nasal spray is a very good nasal decongestant. Steam inhalation helps in increasing the blood flow and thus reduces the inflammation of the nasal mucosa and clears the nasal blockage.
3. Try taking medicine with a combination of antihistamine (such as fexofenadine or loratidine) and a decongestant (pseudoephedrine). This reduces the nasal congestion and also watering of the nose.
4. Avoid sleeping under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.
5. Avoid smoking, chilled food and beverages.

Do not worry! With the above measures you will definitely be alright.

Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon