Have running nose and noticed lot of mucus. Could be due to could be allergens?

ENT Specialist
Hello...a lot of mucous when I wake up and after coffee...white not cold -- I appear to have runny nose
which could be allergens since I moved to beach house...after meals...also have mucous collecting in throat...I take no drugs...I am 70 years old...what could be causing this? LinBW
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Post Nasal Drip.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. An anti-allergic medication and steam inhalation may help resolve the mucus. A mucolytic, decongestant and a steroid nasal spray may help depending upon the clinical examination findings.

2. A search for the source of this mucus will need a nasal and sinus examination, looking for signs of a Post Nasal drip (PND).

3. The mucus is probably loosened and collects in the throat after eating.

4. Acid reflux may be a an aggravating factor.

5. Sometimes, the infection is fungal in origin.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.