Have rough and ugly nails. What cure should be done?

Jul 2012

i hae brother whose age is 16 he face difficulties in nail , his nails were not smooth its looks stone surface . he is facng difficulties for past 3 months...i need solution regarding this ............
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX.
I comprehend your query but there are a few questions i have & suggestions therof.
Is your brother biting his nails?
Is this affliction on all the finger nails?.. or only a few & please state which.
Are only the nails of the hands involved or are the feet involved as well?
Is there any rough growth/dirt like material under the nails that you notice?
Before 3 months, his nails..were they absolutely clear?
Was there any fever like typhoid/malaria etc in the last 6 mths or so?
Is he on any oral medications for eg meds for seizures or any other medical condition?
Is there a family History of similar nails in any othe siblings?
Is there any associated teeth, hair defects?
Is there a history of consanguinity in the family? (are his parents related to each other before marriage eg..uncle's daughter etc)
Please do get back with answers to these queries.
It would be nice also if you could take a good clear photograph of affected nails & upload them here using the 'upload data' feature on this page
Also if you were to indicate which part of the world/india you hail from, it will help me suggest a specialist nearest you better.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India
Follow-up: Have rough and ugly nails. What cure should be done? 1 hour later
Am from chennai, he wil bite nails ...... only finger nails have this kind of infection , it seems he was not suffered from fever from last 6 months , yes there is rough growth dirt under nail , there is no oral medications , this is first time we are facing this difficulties nor any of my familiy members have this kind of infection , there is no hair defects , my parents are not relations before marriage .
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 21 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX,
Thanks for your inputs.
From your description of the nails, it does appear that your brother has some form of fungal infections. Ideally he will have to consult a dermatologist on the ground. I recommend an oral course of terbinafine hydrochloride 250mg (zimig/lamisil)to be taken for 6 weeks; ensure to go to a lab & do a liver function tests before starting & a serum creatinine to ensure liver & kidney functions are all ok.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Have rough and ugly nails. What cure should be done? 28 hours later
Am sorry realy i dont understand the technical terms !!!!!!!!!!! requested you to explain me clearly what needs to be done further .
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 13 hours later
Go to Doctor (dermatologist)
Do blood tests for liver & kidney to see if all well.
Start medications: tablets : name : terbinafine hydrochloride 250mg once/day to take for 6 weeks minimum
Apply special nail polish called LOCERYL once/week.
This is as least technical as i can mangage..please see your dermatologist near you
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Have rough and ugly nails. What cure should be done? 7 days later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Your welcome XXXXXXX. I trust you got the blood tests et al done & the prescription filled out by a doctor on the ground. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD