Have red stool with mucus in it. No fever, abdominal pain. Got hemorrhoids. Any ideas?

My stools are reddish in color and very mucus like in texture. I have no fever, stomach cramps, and I'm in pretty good health. I recently got hemorrhoids and this slimy stool that is not formed and I have no idea what it may be. Also I work in the healthcare field where C.diff is prevalent.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXX,

If your stools are reddish in color, you want to make sure that it is not due to blood. You need to have the stool tested for presence of blood first. If it is positive then we have to look into the sources.

If you have hemorrhoids, usually fresh blood is seen with straining when you are constipated or stool is hard. But if you have soft or slimy stools mixed with fresh blood, we have to think about colitis
or inflammation of the rectum or lower part of the colon.

If you are a healthcare worker where C.Difficile is prevalent you definitely need testing for C.Diff Toxins. If this is negative then you need a sigmoidoscopy or a colonoscopy to look at the lining
of the colon to see if you have some type of colitis whether ulcerative colitis or Crohn's colitis.

Hope this helps you in taking further steps and discuss with your own doctor.

I wish you the very best.