Ask a Urologist   »  

Have red rashes around penis. No itching or burning. Using cream to masturbate. Concerned

Question
Hi, I have a read rash around my penis. I am not sexually active. It does not burn, itch, or have discharge. I use cream to masturbate. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The conditions that could cause a skin rash around the penis (genitals) are a few, let me help by listing them down for you:
-Fungal infection (due to area being moist)
-Contact dermatitis
-Jock itch
-Psoriasis
-STD's are also on the list, but they usually have other symptoms as well, and recent sexual contact (thus, mostly ruled out in your case)

This could just be a fungal infection, which is treated with anti-fungal creams/ointments prescribed by a doctor. Do not worry. Just visit a doctor for a thorough examination and you shall be rid of this rash soon.

In the meantime, keep the area dry and clean, wash the area with lukewarm water and an antibacterial soap, wear comfortable clothing, and avoid rough scratching if the region itches.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me if you have any more queries.

Best wishes.