Have red rash in ribcage, does not itch. What causes this?

I have a small red rash in my upper right rib cage. It does not itch. What would cause this? I've had it for about 2 months. Thank You
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 17 minutes later
The description provided is too brief to think of a particular diagnosis.
It could be a rash due to injury, fungal infection( tinea or p versicolor), pityriasis rosea, post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, psoriasis etc.

I would like to know if
It is flat or elevated
If it is covered with scales
Type of lesion- ring shaped, bumpy , margins etc
If the sensation in the lesion is intact ie you can feel touch, pain temperature in thr lesion
Any preceding injury or exacerbating factor
Blanchable or nonblanchable lesion

I would also request you to attach an image of the concerned lesion as it would help me in reaching a probable diagnosis.

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Have red rash in ribcage, does not itch. What causes this? 27 minutes later
The XXXXXXX is not raised. It is about the size of a dime and has small red spots around it. It does not hurt anywhere around the lesion. It seems very light in color in the mornings and gradually becomes more red during the day. The lesion is ring shaped and I have not had any injurys, illness, and have not changed any eating habits or takin any medications before I noticed it. I have not used any creams or medications to treat it either.The infected area has not spread at all.. It's a darker color red in the center..It is on my upper right rib cage directly below my chest towards my armpit.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 6 hours later
Thanks for answering the queries.
From the description provided, I can think of few possibilities
Tinea corporis- fungal infection characterised by ring shaped lesions. Initially may begin as small round dot that spreads and assumes a ring shape. May be slightly scaly. Treatment is antifungal cream like terbinafine, clotrimazole, miconazole etc

Psoriasis- red elevated rash with thick scales, usually round shaped or may have irregular geographic borders. Sometimes can be ring shaped. Treatment is emollient and steroids

P rosea characterised by a mild scaly red rash. Scaling present at margin of the lesion. Self resolving. No treatment as such required however calamine and steroid may help.

Granuloma annulare- symptomless lesion. Multiple papules( bumps) coalesce to form a ring shaped lesion. Treatment steroid, tacrolimus etc.

Kindly send me an image of the lesion as dermatology is a visual field and a probable diagnosis can only be ascertained by having a look at the lesions.

Hoping to hear from you soon.