Have red rash between butt cheeks. What should I do to remove it?

Question

I have a rash between my butt cheeks. It is red and pretty raw but does not itch too much. It goes from the top of the crack and stops before the anus.
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

What you are describing is a yeast infection of the skin. This area is particularly prone because it is moist and not open to the air. The absence of itching is not unusual and often it is just raw and inflamed.

The way to treat this is as follows:
1. Oral diflucan and a barrier cream such as Desitin OR
2. Topical clotrimazole cream applied to the area twice daily

The best way to avoid this is to make sure the area stays dry and that you wear loose fitting underwear made of cotton.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have more questions!