Have red, raised blotchy under armpit. Given fungal steroid and antibiotic. Any effective cure?

I have had red, raised blotchy welts ranging in size under my armpit. I have had it for a couple of weeks, in which time it has only gotten worse and covers a much larger area. I was given a fungal/steroid cream and an oral antibiotic a few days ago by a GP who didn't know what it was, however no improvement have been seen, in fact it looks a bit worse and is spreading a little more. I was very itchy and very sore to begin with, now it has settled a bit as I am no longer itching it.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later

This most likely sounds like a fungal infection like ringworm or a mixed bacterial and fungal infection like intertrigo.

Using a steroid cream proliferates both the bacteria and fungus and causes no improvement.

Hence I would recommend that you stop the steroid cream. You can mix and apply fucidin or bactroban cream with lamisil cream twice a day for two weeks. That will be helpful.

Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.