Have red patch on the head of penis. What this could be ?

I have a red patch on the head of my penis which appears to be shiny and sticky........Have you any idea what this could be ? There are also lots of little red spots like thrush.......I have had candida before but the shiny sticky patch is new too me.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 36 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Red patches appearing over penis is known as balanitis.

It can occur due to infections like candida,allergy to soaps,detergents,drug allergies,latex allergies etc.

Secretions from vagina while doing sexual intercourse can also irritate the skin and cause balanitis.

There are some other conditions which can cause balanitis but they are not so common.

Uploading a photograph will help in finding out the diagnosis.This facility is available in this forum.I think i can guide you in a better way if you upload the photograph.

Till then you can try following measures

1.Avoid any harsh soaps,wipes for cleaning the penis.

2.Use loose cotton undergarments.

3.It would be better if you avoid any sexual intercourse till rash cures.

4.Seeing your age you can check your blood sugar which can be a cause for recurrent fungal balanitis.

5.Check if your female partner has any vaginal infection,any active infections etc.

6.You can apply a mild steroid like hydrocortisone and antifungal cream like clotrimazole to affected area for few days.

Follow these measures and let me know further.

I hope this will solve your query,If you have any concerns I will be happy to help you.Take care.
Follow-up: Have red patch on the head of penis. What this could be ? 13 hours later
Thankyou for your answer....However you have not mentioned the shiny and sticky to touch patch .........Could you explain that please....Thankyou
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 12 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

Shininess may be due to erosion of mucosa .

It may be possible that patch may become secondarily infected producing secretions.This can lead to stickiness.

I will advise you to wait and watch for 10 to 15 days and follow the instructions i have mentioned earlier.

But in case there is no improvement ,it will be better to consult a dermatologist .

Hope this will solve your problem.Take care.