Have red patch on head of penis. Took Lotrimin. No effect. Used Vagisil cream. Done with circumcized. Help?

I have a red patch on the head of my penis that does not burn nor itch. At a pharmacist recommendation, I did a two week course (2x per day) of Lotrimin AF (clotrimazole) and it had no effect. At the same pharmacist recommendation, I started a 2x per day regimen of Vagisil cream. It also does not appear to be having any effect. As I said before, I am having no pain, itching or burning on the affected area. I am circumcized. Would appreciate any help.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 35 minutes later

Having seen the picture that you have sent and according to the clinical presentation and history, I am of the view that the lesion over the glans is surely not that of a fungal infection.
So you should firstly stop using the medications that you are applying over the lesion.

A red asymptomatic patch over the male genitals can be due to various possibilities. But according to the clinical picture provided, I think localized psoriasis and lichen planus are the two close possibilities.

Now first of all, I would like to assure you that both of these conditions are neither sexually transmitted nor are these malignant.These are chronic autoimmune conditions which need chronic treatment.

In order to be sure of the diagnosis, you need to get a skin biopsy done. So I would recommend that you should see a local dermatologist as soon as possible so that a skin biopsy can be done and treatment can be started after confirmation of the diagnosis. Treatment for both of these conditions is in the form of application of topical steroids but these should ideally be started only after confirmation of the diagnosis with skin biopsy.

For the time being, you should stop applying any kind of creams over the affected area as these can lead to an altered clinical picture and biopsy report.

Hope it helps

Any other clarifications you need, please ask.

Dr Geetika Paul