Have red, itchy rashes on abdomen, starting from arm and spreading to abdomen. Not herpes. What else?

I have red rashes on my skin on the left abdomen- starting from below the arm level and spreading to the middle of the abdomen.. It is itching, small rounded in shape and many of them since a week. I also see such rashes on my left calf and right buttock today. The family doctors has ruled out herpes.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 6 hours later

I can understand your concern.

From the description that you have provided there are two possibilities:-

1. Tinea corporis which is a fungal infection of the skin.

2. Urticaria which could be due to allergy due to food, medications, dust, pollen etc.

The lesions of urticaria come and go while that of Tinea would remain constant.

I would advise that you take tab. Levocet 5 mg once a day to control the itching. This would be helpful in controlling the urticaria as well.

However, I would like to request you for a photograph of the rash in order to rule out tinea corporis and to recommend appropriate treatment.

Please let me know if you have any queries.