Ask a Urologist   »  

Have red dots on penis. No itching or burning. What is causing this?

I have some bruise looking spots on my penis and some red dots on it now. the bruise looking spots have been there for about a month and they have come up before and went away but now they havent and the red spots just popped up the other night and i dont know what it could be it dont itch or burn or anything please help me
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 45 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A redddish rash, in the form of patches or spots, which comes and goes, is most likely due to two possibilities:
1) an allergic reaction
2) an infection

Allergic reactions very often present with the kind of symptoms that you are describing. The allergen could be some chemicals present in cosmetics, excessive sweating or even repeated friction.

Infections which can present with such symptoms are bacterial or fungal balanitis, herpes (though you don't have the typical rash), etc.

I would suggest the following measures:

- Wash the area (with the foreskin retracted) three to four times daily with diluted potassium permanganate solution (potassium permanganate crystals or solution should be available with your local chemist) or diluted betadine solution.

- Take an anti-allergy medication for a few days till the rash subsides.

- Keep the surrounding areas clean, sweat-free and dry.

- Avoid using any strongly perfumed soap or shower gels.

- Avoid wearing tight clothing and wear loose cotton underwear

If these measures are followed, your lesions should most likely settle down gradually within a few days days. In case it doesn't, then you have to see a dermatologist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist