Have red and swollen patches on eyelid and corner of mouth. Not cured by cortisone. Worrisome

I have dry, red and swollen patches on one eyelid and one corner of the mouth. My doctor doesn't know what it is. He gave me a cortisone and anti fungal cream but it didn't make any difference. I was then prescribed antibiotic cream, that did not make any difference either. I have not used any make up or skin creams since this started (a month ago), I threw away all my beauty products, my toothbrush and toothpaste. I drink a lot of water, to flush whatever it is away...
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are describing can be seborrheic dermatitis,contact dermatitis, polymorphic light eruption etc.
Also I would like to know-
Is there any pain/itching?
Is there any scaling over the area?
Does it increase in size or is limited to area?
Any other area like extremities/behind the ear/scalp area affected?
Since when you have this problem?
Can you upload the photographs of affected area.
Photographs can help a lot in predicting the condition.
Upload the photos and answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Have red and swollen patches on eyelid and corner of mouth. Not cured by cortisone. Worrisome 52 minutes later
There is a tiny bit of itching, but very little. There is scaling and redness. It's only painful when I touch my eyelid, the other areas are painless. The dry patches are a my left eyelid, the left corner of my mouth, behind the right nostril and both sides of the bridge of my nose, nowhere else. The dry patches haven't increased in size. I've had this for a month. Since then, I've seen 2 doctors but no dermatologists, yet. Also, I don't wear nail polish.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 25 hours later
Hi again ,
Ive gone through the images.
It appears to be seborrheic dermartitis.
It requires a potent steroid with emmolient application twice daily.
Also oral antifungal like ketoconazole once a day for 15 to 20 days will be required.
Regular moisturizer cream use with intermittent steroid use will be helpful.
Use warm water for bathing.
Avoid excess of temperature and too cold weather as both aggravate the condition.
It is an endogenous type of dermatitis and can run a little longer course.
Using a moisturizer with XXXXXXX butter and white soft paraffin wil help in preventing scaling.
Hope this helps.
Regards .