Ask a Urologist   »  

Have red and swollen frenulum? How to get relief?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
My frenulum is red and swollen? What can I do to relieve and heal this problem?
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 18 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Swelling and redness of the frenulum indicates an inflammation. If it is an acute problem, then this could be most likely be due to an infection or inadvertent injury. If it has been a chronic problem, then certain specific vitamin deficiencies (like vit. C or vit. B1) can be the causative factor.

I would suggest the following:

1) Take an anti-inflammatory medication, such as Ibuprofen (Advil) twice a day, after meals.

2) Rinse frequently with a diluted Betadine solution or Chlorhexidine or any other anti-septic solution f(should be available over-the-counter).

3) Take a multi-vitamin supplement daily (something which contains vitamin c and b-complex vitamins)

With these measures, your problem should most likely subside in a few days. In case it persists or worsens or you develop fever or any other complications, then you will have to see a doctor for a proper evaluation.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist
Follow-up: Have red and swollen frenulum? How to get relief? 4 minutes later
This is new and acute. I cannot take anti-inflammatories (kidneys). I have rinsed with hydrogen peroxide. If it is an infection how would one know?I think I confused you. It is actually all of the tissue beneath my tongue at the bottom of my mouth.
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 7 hours later
Hello again,

The signs of infection are fever, redness, warmth, pain and discharge or oozing from the site.

If the swelling and redness (inflammation) is mild, then you can try with local measures alone, like Betadine rinses (it's better to avoid hydrogen peroxide as it may sometimes irritate the mucosa and aggravate the inflammation). But, if the inflammation is severe, then you may have to take a course of antibiotics and certain other anti-inflammatory medication which are kidney-friendly.

Irrespective of this, it would be worthwhile taking a multi-vitamin supplement as it would promote quicker healing.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist