Have red and painful eye. Why am I getting burning sensation after using azitheral?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hello Doctor,

My right eye is infected and it is very red and painful. I consulted a doctor today and he prescribed 'Azitheral'. When used, it gave very Burning sensation. The doctor again prescribed 'Aquasurge Max' to use just before 'Azitheral'. But the burning sensation has not reduced. It is unbearable. Is it ok to continue the same medicine?
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on the description, the most likely cause of your symptoms is allergic conjunctivitis. There is a risk of secondary bacterial infection, that is the reason you have been prescribed an antibiotic, azithral (azithromycin).

Regarding the burning in the eye, it could be either due to the eye disease (conjunctivitis) or due to an allergy to the antibiotic, azithral.

If the burning increases soon after the use of azithral, we should consider it an allergic reaction to the drug, and should not use it again. However, if the burning is uniformly present, irrespective of taking azithral or not, then, it can be continued.

I hope it helps. Please get back, if you have any further queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Have red and painful eye. Why am I getting burning sensation after using azitheral? 11 hours later
Thanks doctor. Helped a lot. They have also prescribed me 'Zymar' oinment which has to be applied once during night and in the morning. Is that sufficient enough for the allergy?

Thank you for getting back with more details.
Zymar (gatifloxacin) ointment is a safe antibiotic, and it can be used to prevent infection.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM