Have rash on the head and foreskin of penis. No STD detected. have lines in finger and numbness. Diabetes?

Hello, I have a redish rash on the head and foreskin of my penis that isnt going away for months now. I saw a dr a few months back and was told its not an std. It doesn't ever itch, and its difficult to even feel the bumps as they seem to be under the skin. Now recently I have noticed horizontal lines on my fingers (not ridges) near the front of the nail with slight numbing on the middle finger. Is this possibly diabetes?
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 3 hours later

From the way you express your penile problem, it looks like Balanoposthitis. It is due to the inflammation of the glans penis and foreskin.

Irritation by soap (external object / trauma).
Sometime Infection by Bacteria, Virus, Fungus can also produce Balanoposthitis.
Rarely STD may be the cause.

Above all the main causative agent may be a diabetics. So many patients are diagnosed as Diabetic because of this presentation

It is usually diagnosed by careful elicitation of history, physical examination.

Sometime Swabs, culture and Biopsy may be needed to arrive at a diagnosis.
Management is treating the cause.

Your horizontal lines in the fingers are due to the injury of the nail matrix – leading to the reduction of nail growth – causing grooves in the finger and toe nails. Athelets kicking something wearing shoe, Eczema or Paronychia around the nail and some systemic illness can produce this problem.
Once again the diabetic we have to keep in our mind.

Once you find and treat the cause – the temporary problem will go off

All the possibilities are explained for you, to identify your cause and get the treatment properly.

I wish you all the best