Have rash on navel area and sharp spike on belly button. Hurts to touch. What is this?

Jul 2012

I have a rash that has been continually radiating from my navel since July 29th - on that day, I had one sharp spike to my belly button - like I had been priced by a needle and it hurt to touch, but using a q-tip I found nothing in my belly button. It is now in a circular formation around my core but showing only on my sides and around my thighs so that it basically connects to the other thigh, as in a large circle. It's gotten bigger and more irritated and I do scratch a little. Earlier when it was only my belly button, I had a painful area and a couple of skin bumps (that were a little painful) and then a radiating circle (like a bullseye, but no raised rash). In between, "it" sort of bowed out of my belly region (though I still have the lumps and bumps) and moved up my right side to inflame my lymph system and back of neck and then to my left side, but then that resolved in a couple of days.

- After a couple of weeks, my "spleen area" (left under rib cage) began to feel bothered - it was hard to take a fully XXXXXXX breath without feeling pressure in that area, but I could push on it and hike and stuff without any discomfort... very strange since it was mainly the breathing that induced the pressure.

- After a month from the initial "instance", I had terrible sweat and fever for one night. I haven't had any headaches, joint pain, XXXXXXX functioning/problems (other than "spleen area").

So, I ask... what the hell is it?
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 7 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX.
I understand your trepidation as july29 is awhile now since you had this 'rash'.
i have viewed your photographs & it does appear to be of an unusual variety & could be what we consider linear morhea or lichen striatus. I could not appreciate the bulls-eye phenomenon you described in your photograph..that suggests a condition called Erythema Multiforme. Now dont work yourself silly reading about all these entities on the net & getting worked up. I note you mention the lesions under your 'spleen' region resolving & you figured it may be related to 'meditation' around that time....may be a perfectly viable suggestion & if so, stressors may play a role in its aggravation. My sincere recommendation would be to get a tiny skin biopsy done from the lesions & then take the report to a dermatologist on the ground or visit the dermatologist itself with an appointment to do the said procedure in the first instance. It is usually a 10 minute out-patient procedure done under local anaesthesia & safe & will give you a comprehensive answer. Hope this information helps you make an informed deciscion & is probably the best we can do online. relax it appears a sticky but easily resolved issue & wish you good health!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Have rash on navel area and sharp spike on belly button. Hurts to touch. What is this? 11 hours later
I might agree with you on these, but the rashes have never produced any scaling or drying, as in a yeast bloom or eczema, which I have had before in my earlier years.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
Am in agreement with you. It does not appear to be fungal or yeast related nor a typical eczema & understand there is no associated scaling or drying. Do go ahead with a skin biopsy. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD