Have rapid heart beat, veins on chest and hands are prominent and itchy. What could be causing this?

Cardiologist, Interventional
The veins on my chest and hands are very prominent, only noticed this today, coupled with irritatingly itchy hands. I also have had quite a rapid heartbeat as well, I don't know if this is related at all. What could be causing these symptoms?
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 2 hours later
I would like to say at first that I am a cardiologist and I thought that your question is more related to the heart and hence I am answering this.
I would need a little more information to help you better:
I understand that you noticed the veins today only but how about your heart beat, long it has been rapid?
Also do have any previous or long standing illness?
Any fever in recent past?
Do you have normal appearing veins on legs and abdomen?
Do you have any difficulty breathing?

Your prominent veins and rapid heart beat can be related.