Have raised mole under chin on neck. Should I be concerned?

Jul 2012

My 10 year old daughter has a mole under her chin on her neck. It has started to become raised. Is the cause for concern?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 hours later
Hi there.
I read your history & saw your photgraph.
Is there any strong family history of any melanomas?
Is there any associated itch, oozing, change in colour or irregular pigmentation?
It does appear to my naked eye to be uniformly pigmented & therefore not much of an issue.
But as i always suggest, when in doubt, do go across to a dermatologist nearest you, get the entire mole excised with a 1cm margin surrounding & get it biopsied & /or do a mapping which your dermatologist will decide if required.
In this case, i dont envisage any concern & do believe in my clinical skills that all is well but am online & if it were my child, i would err on the side of being safe rather than sorry & this is my humble opinion.
Do hope i have been prompt, candid & allayed your fears & given you direction to make an informed consent. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India