Have radiating pain in left arm, wrist, little finger at night, What could be the reason?

I have radiating pain in my left arm, wrist, and little finger at night. No back or neck pain. I cannot lie on that side or put pressure on the arm in bent positon/elbow. It is not present during the day mostly. I think that if I carry shoppping bags during the day it is worse at night. No major medical problems.
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The symptoms which you’ve described indicate involvement of the ulnar nerve which is usually involved around the elbow area and is called “cubital tunnel syndrome”. The ulnar nerve innervates the fourth and fifth fingers, and symptoms such as numbness, weakness, and tingling appear there when any compression of this nerve occurs.

Try following these lifestyle measures for relief:
1)     Avoid activities that require you to keep your arm bent for long periods of time
2)     Avoid leaning on your elbow or putting pressure on the inside of your arm
3)     Keep your elbow straight at night when you are sleeping. This can be done by wrapping a towel around your straight elbow or wearing an elbow pad backwards.
4)     Try steroid injections and bracing or splinting may help.

If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a neurologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Have radiating pain in left arm, wrist, little finger at night, What could be the reason? 19 hours later
Thank you. I will do this.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

You may want to ask me a query at this link in future
I wish you speedy recovery.