Ask a Urologist   »  

Have pungent smelling urine that remains in bathroom for hours. What is the problem?

I employ a 77 year old male that urinates once or twice in his 4 hour workday (9am-1pm). He drinks 1 small cup of coffee and very little water. His urine is extremely pungent and the odor remains in the bathroom for hours. I have tried cleaning the surface of the porcelain inside and out with various cleaners. I have even tried ammonia in the bowl yet the smell remains. I have purchased bottles of cranberry juice and had him drinking that which eliminates the odor. Any suggestions as to what is going on?
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I am suspicious that this individual might be dealing with a chronic urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections can typically cause foul smelling urine.

I would encourage this individual to obtain a urinalysis by his primary care physician. A course of antibiotics might be all that is needed to correct the problem.

Thanks again for reaching out to us. Please let me know if you have any specific concerns otherwise.

Dr. Galamaga